History

Shortly after the Anglo Boer war, the need arose for a dam in the Tierpoort River to serve the surrounding farms. In 1912, using ox wagon, the Tierpoort dam wall was erected

Years later, in February 1988, a massive flood occurred and the massive influx of water which put so much pressure on the dam wall that it eventually broke. Playing a prominent roll on the area’s agricultural activities, the government was forced to rebuild the wall.

Thomas Ferreira was one of the farmers of the Tierpoort area, who owned two adjacent farms, Vaalbank and Bekkersfontein. On Bekkersfontein he built lovely cottages overlooking the Tierpoort Dam. These soon became favourites for people looking for a break away and those who need an overnight stop on a long trip.

When the nearby N1 national road was built, Bekkersfontein was subdivided. The area where Tom’s Place Resort is situated today, was called Waterkant. Due to the popularity of the cottages, more accommodation options have been added in the form of chalets and camping grounds.

Today Tom’s Place is a favourite resort of many travellers. We have many guests who like to escape the busy cities and visit us for the peaceful outdoor setting. We are also a convenient stop over for many tourists who make long trips on the N1.

WebR